Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"My Enemy's Cradle" by Sara Young

This is probably one of the most engrossing books I've read in a long time. I am NOT a fast reader at all. I like to take my time to thoroughly dissect the authors' words. I try to analyze why did they use this word and not that one, why did they form that sentence in that way. I love books that are full of description versus dialogue. I am definitely NOT into "Chick Lit".

So usually, I take weeks, sometimes months, to finish a book. But by finish, I really mean devour. But, that was not the case two days ago when I picked up, "My Enemy's Cradle" by Sara Young, then finished it at 4 AM this morning. I simply could not put it down. The nagging thoughts of, "Ugh, it's 2 o'clock in the morning and you have to go to work," were pushed aside due to the clever foreshadowing of this new author. She showed me that something was around the corner but didn't share too much about what that something would be. I just knew that it would be terrifying, or romantic, or stomach turningly, no turn-backedly, horrible for the main character. Yet there were moments of utter sweetness for her, and redemption.

This book did such a good job of getting into real emotions that define human beings and the choices that we make; and that sometimes we only delude ourselves into believing that we actually are making choices ... for in life as in this book, we are sometimes powerless to define the road that fate or our own human emotions will take us.

Good read!

1 comment:

Wanda said...

glad you found a good one. I heard "The Shack" is life changing. I just bought it. And even though I am an avid chic lit reader, this is not one.