Monday, December 8, 2008

Love means never having to say you're sorry


I love, love, love the movie, "Love Story" ... but I don't quite believe that line. I think that there are multiple times that we hurt the people that we are closest to; the people that I am referring to here are significant others. Husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc. I think that once things get a little too comfortable (and sex can lead to comfortable ladies and gentlemen), we can cross the line and do things and say things that are utterly hurtful or cruel.


However, I have said and will always believe that "friends never have to say they are sorry." Friends are people that build each other up, applaud each other, help each other, laugh together and cry together. It seems to me that friends don't cross those lines that people that are "more than friends" cross. Is it because we have the others' best interest at heart when we are friends but as soon as we cross the line into lovers, we start thinking about protecting ourselves? Is it because we have been hurt before when we were younger and chose a partner that was inevitably going to give us a taste of the heartbreak that defines young love? Do we enter into a "them versus me" mentality to protect ourselves?


But whatever the reason, lovers do make decisions or do things that are hurtful and that warrant apologies. And, I think, we are all guilty of that and should remember that when we look at our lovers. We should think about their feelings and think about what we are doing to protect them - are we treating them as we would our friends? If not, why? And if not, say, "I'm sorry."


But to my friends ... never apologize to me. For if you ever really, really have to then we probably are not friends any more. For those of you that are my friends remember that I will always love you and support you and applaud you because you are exactly who you are.

3 comments:

Wanda said...

This is great, I agree with most of it... but some friends (like you are to me) are like family...and sometimes family is just as close as a significant other. Obviously sans the sexual bond, but that deep of a relationship... I feel the need to apologize when I hurt someone that close...

Jett said...

I agree ... the difference is "having" or being obligated to apologize. When you do hurt someone close or get moody or crabby, it is nice to recognize that you've done so or been that way and to recognize it with an apology. BUT, it is not a requirement for continued friendship if the friendship is true.

Wanda said...

good point, that's why you are smarter than me. I will just sit here and look pretty...hahahha jk.